Teach Like A Pirate: Chapter 1


A little bit ago, I mentioned that I was reading Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess. Today, I am bringing you a chapter review.




Chapter 1: Passion

In this chapter, Dave has you dive into your true, inner passions. Now, if you did a survey of all the teachers in the world, I'm 99.9% sure that if you asked the question of why they decided to become a teacher you would get the following responses.
1.) I really enjoy working with children
2.) I had a really awesome teacher who made me what to become one too
3.) I am a very creative person
4.) I love getting kids excited about what they are learning and sharing the journey with them
Am I right? :)

But, Dave as you will find out is different. He starts out right away with the statement: "We are NOT passionate about everything we teach."

I know it took me by surprise too. You mean there are people who don't like teaching Math, Reading, Social Studies, and Science out there?!?! What?!?! (But, I was being naĆÆve) I will be honest, there is one subject that I don't like teaching very well and I have to say that my lessons in that particular subject are a bit (maybe a lot) stinky at times.

Dave then has the reader talk about/write down there passions in 3 area. The first one being CONTENT PASSION. What subject/lesson/content area do you teach that you are truly passionate about?
My answer: I am passionate about teaching Math and Reading. I enjoy helping the students solve problems by giving them different strategies to use. I enjoy using manipulative especially magnets....I'm a freak :) in order to help them solve the problems on their own. In Reading, I enjoy some stories over the others. Some are easier to be read/understood. Some of them are more interesting to the students which makes it better for them. Writing is the area that I struggle with. I also struggle with Science and Social Studies. Maybe it is due to there not being enough time to really get into anything exciting.

Then, Dave has you address your PROFESSIONAL PASSION. What are you truly passionate about in regards to your profession?
My answer: I am professionally passionate about teaching young children and helping them learn everything they need in order to become smart adults. I'm passionate about making the students want to come to school to learn. I'm passionate about making the students learn without knowing that they are. I'm passionate about not giving up on that one difficult student, but instead focusing the majority of my time on them. I'm passionate about giving 110% to my career and my students.

The last area is PERSONAL PASSION. Outside of teaching, what are you passionate about?
My answer: Personally this one was a struggle because I am new to the teaching world and think that the majority of my time should be spent thinking of new ideas, activities, fun lessons, etc. I'm passionate about my husband and my family. I'm passionate about staying healthy. I'm passionate about enjoying my down time. I'm passionate about blogging and focusing my creative talents in other areas of my life. I'm also passionate about shopping. :)

Now it's your turn! Feel free to link this into your own blog post or you can post your answers in the comments below. I look forward to seeing everyone's answers.

Also, if you would like to read this book with me, you can purchase it here: Teach Like a Pirate 

Keep reading!




QuickEdit
Mrs. Moore
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Karyn] [img=Your Image Url Here] [description=Welcome to my blog about teaching and life!] (facebook=Facebook Profile Url) (twitter=Twitter Profile Url) (instagram=Instagram Profile Url) (bloglovin=Blogvin Profile Url) (pinterest=Pinterest Profile Url) (tumblr=Tumblr Profile Url)